[lit-ideas] Re: on not knowing one's impact on the world

  • From: "Walter C. Okshevsky" <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 17:09:46 -0330

Quoting Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>:

> On 2/13/2010 3:54 PM, Walter C. Okshevsky wrote:
> > WO: I can identify many of the effects of my teaching and conversations
> with
> > students through the use of tests, assignments, mid-term papers, final
> exams
> > and their choices as to activities after completion of the course(s). So
> I'm
> > unclear as to why all this mystification of the enterprise of teaching
> > philosophy.
>

> Volodya, you're not just teaching philosophy. Your
> comportment, choice of words, discernible moods,
> style of dress: you're teaching these and
> countless other things by virtue of being a human
> among humans. Surely your statement is intended as
> a provocation rather than as an affirmation of
> indifference to your influence on people.
>
> With dismay,
> Pyotr Kirilovich Bezukhov

For dorogoi Pyotr et al,

While provocation is indeed one of my favoured pedagogical devices - albeit
second to instilment of perplexity (students call it "confusion" of course) -
I'm afraid Eric-Pyotr's dismay in this case will find little salve or solace
from me.

As I understand it, "teaching" is an intentional activity having learning as
its
intended effect. (It's an "achievement verb" as someone somewhere designated
it.
Was it Ryle? Does anyone know? This is somewhat more specific than *enacting*
my
humanity to others through my everyday comportments with others and myself.
(See
my reply of today to the good teacher John W.)

Professional credentialization of teachers and administrators in Canada
requires
successful completion of education programmes, courses in which are not taught
by ASMs (Collective Agreement abbrev for "academic staff members") simply in
virtue of their humanity. And courses in our Philosophy Department have
curriculum outcomes also transcending simple enactment of humanity. But, again,
see my reply to John; perhaps we disagree less than I think.

Vsevo horoshovo,
Valodsya
MUN

P.S. Russia for hockey gold - da! Pey dodna, pey dodna. (Although Alexy Kovaleve
should not have been slighted in such a manner.)