[lit-ideas] Re: on not knowing one's impact on the world

  • From: Mike Geary <jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 08:10:01 -0600

A month or so ago, in a Piggly Wiggly grocery store, a middle-aged woman
came up to me and asked, "Are you Mr. Geary?"  Fearful she might be a
process server, I nonetheless owned up to it.  "Did you used to teach at
Manasass High School?"  "Yes," I said, "for one year, back in 1970."

"You taught me 9th grade English.  Do you remember me?"  "Your face is
familiar, but I can't quite place the name."  Little lies lift us.  She told
me her name (which I've already forgotten) and then she then got
embarrassingly effusive in her praise for me as a teacher.  The best she'd
ever had, etc., etc., etc.  "I even remember the Preposition Song you taught
us."  That was news to me I wondered if she wasn't confusing me with someone
else. That can happen after 40 years."  She sang it for me right there in
beer aisle of Piggly Wiggly.  It was a list of prepositions set to some pop
tune of time that I can't remember the name of either.  "Your class was
fun.  We all loved it."

I walked on water for a week.  Thank you for this opportunity to toot my own
horn, Eric.  I'm toot the Triumphal March from Aida in case you don't
recognize it.

Mike Geary
Memphis