[lit-ideas] Re: on not knowing one's impact on the world

  • From: Phil Enns <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 14:42:57 +0700

Eric Yost wrote:

"I'm sure teachers like David, Phil, Walter, and Robert frequently get
this sensation, for example, when former students contact them. But
something as trivial as a page of magazine humor?" Anyone else have
this kind of surprise?

A friend/colleague of mine recently mentioned that for a number of
years he couldn't tell his wife that he loved her without thinking of
me.  My friend and I were attending a conference and I was on a panel
giving a paper on something or other.  I don't remember the specific
discussion that followed, it had something to do with truth, but
apparently, at some point, I mentioned that we don't say to our wives,
'I love you' and then add, 'It is true.'  It seems my example made an
impression beyond whatever insignificant point I was trying to make at
the time.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Yogyakarta, Indonesia