[lit-ideas] Re: lw

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 May 2014 07:04:08 +0100 (BST)

>I have 2 children. In both cases, whenever I tried to teach them the meaning of
a word by pointing, they would look from my finger up my arm to my shoulder.>

In all my psychiatric experience, Walter's children have a very odd, almost
unnatural, response to 'pointing'. Rudy has had things pointed out to him many
times and Rudy also uses 'pointing' as part of his way of conveying his meaning
(to a point that is now sometimes embarrassing in public, and so he is now
being taught 'Don't point').

When Wittgenstein uses similar language to Walter, about how when someone
points another could take the direction to be up to their shoulder,
Wittgenstein is creating a striking image to show that what 'pointing' seeks to
convey cannot be determined by the mere act of 'pointing' (if we think
otherwise it is only because we are so accustomed to the sense of 'pointing'
that its sense seems to be contained in the 'pointing': an illusion that
parallels the illusion where we are so accustomed to the sense of words that
the sense seems to be contained in the words). It is part of Wittgenstein's
position that 'pointing' could not function as a means of picking out "things"
from the external world if the only reaction humans had to 'pointing' was like
Walter's children, and humans merely looked from the finger up the arm to the
shoulder.

So 'pointing' raises questions that parallel other fundamental questions about
language. Is the sense of words contained in the words? Do words say their own
sense? Gary Lineker is an ex-soccer player, now soccer pundit and presenter for
the BBC: last night the BBC homepage had a headline "Lineker backs Stones for
England World Cup Team." The instant reaction is surely that the Stones are too
old now for the team. A more considered reaction is that this is an example
where clearly the sense of "Lineker backs Stones for England World Cup Team" is
not contained in or said by the words "Lineker backs Stones for England World
Cup Team".

Donal
London

On Thursday, 8 May 2014, 23:38, Walter C. Okshevsky <wokshevs@xxxxxx> wrote:

I have 2 children. In both cases, whenever I tried to teach them the meaning of
a word by pointing, they would look from my finger up my arm to my shoulder.
Today, one is a successful veterinarian, the other, a lion tamer with Cirque de
Soleil.

Cheers, Walter