[lit-ideas] Re: lit-ideas Crime Rate Factors

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2007 12:27:04 -0800

Giuliani was mayor of NYC from 1994-2001.

The FBI crime stats cover that period. Crime dropped nationwide during that period.

Here is the data again: http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/cvict.htm Starting in 1994, violent crime plummeted to less than half. Property crime has been in a steep decline since 1973. This nationwide trend holds for many other crimes: http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/glance.htm#Crime

Crime fell, regardless of local policies in NYC. Property crimes began to drop TWENTY YEARS BEFORE Giuliani took office.

Eric, there is nothing to argue here. You have no plausible evidence. All you have is claims by politicians, asserting their policies were successful.

But the facts undermine that.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com