[lit-ideas] Re: high dudgeon

  • From: "Julie Krueger" <juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 12:44:47 -0600

Thanks -- I called a friend on her use of "dungeon", when she meant
"dudgeon", the other day and of course a matter of the origin of the word
arose.  I love these odd mysteries of words apparently born out of the
blue.  I always suspect there's some frightfully funny tale about their
coming into being.  Sometimes I make up scenarios ...  for fun.  It's kind
of like what our family called "the dictionary game" -- when I was a kid,
our family played it often with guests or simply family night fun.  I often
thought the definitions we came up with beat the real usage of the words by
a mile.

Julie Krueger