[lit-ideas] Re: high dudgeon

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 07:29:29 EST

"Everything I can find on-line suggests that the origin of "dudgeon" (as in,
 "she strode out in high dudgeon"), is unknown.  Not only is it unknown, but
 there don't even seem to be the usual guesses.  Does anyone have an insight?

 Julie Krueger
 (close to a high dudgeon myself)"
---- Thanks for the query. The etymology is unknown. Relate it to Welsh,
'dygen' (malice)
seems "historically and phonetically baseless".
-----
From the OED
dudgeon: Origin unknown; identical in form with precedent form, dudgeon; but
provisionally separated as having, so far as is known, no connexion of sense.
Cf. ENDUGINE.
A conjectural derivation from Welsh dygen malice, resentment, appears to be
historically and phonetically baseless.
Defined as, "a feeling of anger, resentment, or offence; ill humour.
Almost always in phr. "in dudgeon," and esp. with qualifying adj., as high,
great, deep.

QUOTES:
1573 G. HARVEY Letter-bk. (Camden) 28
Who seem'd to take it in marvelus great duggin.
1592 GREENE Disput. 6 Taking it in dudgion, that they should be put down by a
Pesant.
1663 BUTLER Hudibras I. i. 1
When civil dudgeon first grew high.
1687 CONGREVE Old Bach. II. ii,
I hope you are not going out in dudgeon, cousin?
1781 F. BURNEY Diary May,
I returned without..any remaining appearance of dudgeon in my phiz.
1816 SCOTT Antiq. v, They often parted in deep dudgeon.
1862 TROLLOPE Orley F. xxvii. (1873) 195
You must not be in a dudgeon with me.
1865 LIVINGSTONE Zambesi ix. 197 He went off in a high dudgeon.
1885 Manch. Exam. 23 Feb. 5/3
[He] resigned his position as reporter of the Committee in high dudgeon.
attrib. and adj. Resentful, spiteful; ill-humoured.
1589 Pappe w. Hatchet Cb,
If such a one doo but nod, it is right dudgin and deepe discretion.
1599 NASHE Lenten Stuffe (1871) 5
Those dull-pated pennifathers, that in such dudgeon scorn rejected him.
1625 LISLE Du Bartas, Noe 128 Another speaketh low, one dudgen is and
spightful.
    Hence dudgeon v., to be in dudgeon. rare.
1859 G. MEREDITH R. Feverel xxxviii, You've never been dudgeoning already.

products.