[lit-ideas] failure

  • From: dsavory@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 17:41:56 -0600 (MDT)

On 10/7/2010 4:45 AM, John McCreery wrote:
> Routine is what protects us from what we don't
> know.

Eric responded

Or things we don't know that we don't know. My first job was as a busboy
in a busy restaurant and later, at same establishment, as a waiter and a
sous chef. Each step in that trade involved the discovery of my
ignorance, more than that, the realization of how stupid I was.
Awareness of my overwhelming slow-wittedness began to fade after about a
month at each new job, and I'd eventually forget that terrible feeling
of being an utter idiot. Later jobs in different trades renewed the
experience of my innate stupidity, only in different ways. I've been
doing the same thing for a decade now and have completely forgotten that
inner dunce, waiting to emerge should a new skill set be demanded of me.
Until that happens, I'll probably never have to face how stupid I am.

This reminds me of something Michael Chabon wrote in Manhood for Amateurs,
"A father is a man who fails everyday."

I hear that. Sigh.

David Savory