[lit-ideas] Re: failure

  • From: dsavory@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 13:46:09 -0600 (MDT)

I pointed out that something Eric wrote reminded me of something Michael Chabon wrote in Manhood
for Amateurs, "A father is a man who fails everyday."

Mike replied "If a father loves unconditionally every day, he will never fail. Chabon is full of shit."

What Chabon was doing was explaining his feelings of inadequacy which I, and Eric I think, would agree with.
We are stalked by failure but in our workaday adult world we can maintain our sanity with an elaborate system
of carefully constructed self-deceptions. Children however are those unfortunate mirrors who reveal for us
all of our weaknesses and shortcomings. Fortunately though their laughter is revitalizing....

David Savory