[lit-ideas] Re: easy

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 10:13:00 -0500

PALMA:
an easy way to test whether one can identify mental states indipendnetly
from their linguistic expressions:

CONSIDER A CRUCIAL MARXIAN DICTUM;

"last night I shot an elephant in my pajamas. What he was doing in m y
pajamas is anybody's guees"
(wrongly) attributed to G. Marx

And then, of course, there's true Marxism: "Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." But the genius of Marx, I think, lies in his comment after having taken the pulse of life: "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped." Who could not be a Marxist?

Mike Geary
Memphis