[lit-ideas] Re: Zotero?

  • From: "Paul Stone" <pastone@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 15:16:38 -0500

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 2:44 PM, Mike Geary <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I haven't used Zotero but Olivia Judson has -- did you read her comments on
> it the other day in the NYT?  She also talks about another new software
> application called "Papers" which is exclusive to the Macintosh platform.
>
> Both are discussed in her column "Defeating Bedlam" at:

Ms Judson illustrates (unintentionally so,  while touting a few
software products) how fucking lazy people are. If you think of your
computer EXACTLY as if it were your office, it's very simple, by using
a few simple rules to keep track of everything.

a) when you download a file -- RENAME it to something that makes sense
immediately
b) do regular housekeeping (15 minutes once a week will pay dividends)
on your 'folder' structure and keep changing that as the types of
information does -- name your folders with something sensible as well.
c) learn how a computer works and take advantage of that.
d) there is NO 'D'
e) if you leave the computer to DO your work, you will be just as lost
as if you were sitting in an office with "stalagmites of paper"