[lit-ideas] Re: "You Like Chinese Food"

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 21:30:05 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 6/12/2013 8:36:11  A.M. UTC-02,
donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
The Chinese tend to contract  English expression - 'make shorter' as they
might say: so perhaps the cookie was  saying Eric resembles Chinese food.

Even if NOT seen as a contraction, note that, as per my previous post,
etymologically, to 'like' is to _be_ like:

"The basic meaning seems to be "to be like" (see like (adj.)), thus, "to be

suitable."

E. Yost:

"The Fortune Cookie Form does not allow space for nuance.  The
imperative-performative--some would say self-referential--fortune  cookie
read, "You are reading a fortune cookie." It was wrong. I was  only
imagining it."

Interesting that E. Yost should mention the performative side to  this.

For surely a 'fortune' message should be, pragmatically, a  prediction.

So one is expecting,

"You will/shall like Chinese food"

rather than the present,

"You like Chinese food"

which resembles the past:

"So far you have liked Chinese food".

----

It may be argued that, as the Chinese use the noun 'fortunate' and the
corresponding adjective, 'fortunate', there is a sense in which the message is
saying that Eric is being FORTUNATE in liking (or in being like) Chinese
food.

The Chinese point is the so-called homogeneity of conation.

Surely, if I say, "I like to go to Oxford", then, I am like going to
Oxford.

The British tend to minimise the homogeneity of conation by using the
potential:

"I'd like to go to Oxford", which is tantamount, implicaturally, to "I
would like to be like going to Oxford".

Etc.

Cheers,

Speranza