[lit-ideas] Re: Writing while drinking

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 12:07:54 -0400

Genetics has to combine with environment.  Someone with a genetic
propensity who indulges in self destructive behavior is almost guaranteed
an early death.  I'd say that genetics are more important, and given that
insurance companies charge you more if your father died under the age of 60
and mother under the age of 50, most likely, it's pretty settled.  Having
said that, if one is genetically predisposed but goes out of their way to
live healthfully, they probably level out the playing field.  Also, if an
occupation keeps people working, in general, into their 70's and 80's and
90's, it's a pretty fair bet that there's something protective in it.  I'd
say too that we have to distinguish between heart failure and heart attack.
They're very different.