[lit-ideas] Re: Wodehouse

  • From: Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 20:29:26 -0700

David wrote:
The only thing that British
> people registered--since they didn't hear the broadcast-- was the fact
> that P.G.W. had recorded a talk in Berlin and got out of jail as a result.

ck: I appreciate your reply, though I doubt that PG's exact political
stance, or naivete, would matter to a reader who wants his authors to be in
line with him politically, or else--the kind of reader my father was,
unfortunately. (More than reading. He quit, in a huff, having worked in
physics at Columbia University, as a young man in the 30s.) I try to avoid
knowing artists' biographical data, myself. The real-life details would
affect my feelings about the work itself, which usually doesn't enhance the
aesthetic experience. Such has been my experience, at any rate.

I wonder if the current tell-all atmosphere (globally enabled) has done away
with that always invisible yet credible line between fiction and
nonfictional accounts, in writing, to the reader's detriment and
displeasure. For the author...can go either way. (Believe me, I'm a con
artist.)
Carol K.,
cooling down to a mere 106 degrees...