[lit-ideas] Re: Wodehouse

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 22:58:16 -0700

Carol paints what to me is a familiar picture--I went to the University of Sussex, where everyone was left of something--of readers who apply a kind of loyalty test before they read the text. I have mentioned before memories of sitting through lectures by a fellow who was married to one of the Bader-Meinhof sisters--a Bader or a Meinhof--and he constructed this imaginary Orwell, who was guilty of betraying--here you have to imagine the word "class" pronounced with a northern British accent... Orwell, he said, was guilty of betraying the working class. Inconvenient nuances in the text--Orwell's essay on the the British class system comes to mind--were brushed aside. Orwell had once been "one of us," but he had weakened. Anyone who had read "Homage to Catalonia"'s account of the POUM should have stood up--as I didn't--and said, "but you, six foot Loon, are engaged in some kind of Stalinist project." I would like to know what you think of the words themselves.

As "Andy" implied, rumor travels faster, and it stays put at least as long as truth.

David Ritchie,
bending it well enough in
Portland, Oregon