[lit-ideas] Re: Windy Whim

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 11:50:51 -0700

Still noting sound.

My friend P. gave me a "critical pronouncing dictionary." The author, John Walker, was born in Colney Hatch, north London, which in his day was not yet famous for its lunatic asylum. He was an actor who thought that variations in pronunciation are an error, one that can be corrected:

But still it may be objected to such an undertaking [as this dictionary], that the fluctuation of pronunciation is so great as to render all attempts to settle it useless. What will it avail us, it may be said, to know the pronunciation of the present day, if, in a few years, it will be altered? And how are we to know even what the present pronunciation is, when the same words are often differently pronounced by different speakers, and those, perhaps, of equal numbers and reputation. To this it may be answered, that the fluctuation of our language, with respect to its pronunciation, seems to have been greatly exaggerated. Except for a very few single words, which are generally noticed in the following Dictionary and the word where e comes before r, followed by another consonant, as merchant, service etc. the pronunciation of the language is probably in the same state in which it was a century ago: and had the same attention been then paid to it as now, it is not likely even that change would have happened."

That there should be some agreements re. pronunciation we can understand. That a friend of Garrick in 1791 (mine is a later edition) should believe that clarity of enunciation is a virtue is not strange. Slightly odd is the embrace of the idea by independent Americans, who bought the abridged version of the dictionary done by "a citizen of Philadelphia" for their schools' use. And how did they read the following? "But the utility of a work of this kind is not confined to those parts of language where the impropriety is gross and palpable: beside such imperfections in pronunciation as disgust every ear not accustomed to them, there are a thousand insensible deviations, in the more minute parts of language, as the unaccented syllables may be called, which do not strike the ear so forcibly as to mark any direct impropriety in particular words, but occasion only such a general imperfection as gives a bad impression upon the whole. Speakers with these imperfections pass very well in common conversation; but when they are required to pronounce with emphasis, and for that purpose to be more distinct and definite in their utterance, her their ear fails them; they have been accustomed only to loose, cursory speaking, and, for want of firmness of pronunciation, are like those painters who draw the muscular exertions of the human body without any knowledge of anatomy."

Wanting to hear how it was being suggested that Americans should sound, naturally I turned to "tomato." Not in the dictionary. "Potato," long, open "o's," long, "slender English a" equivalent to French "épée." "Water," "broad German a, as in French "age," "u" as in cup and sup: waaatur. Neither wawter nor wadduh is offered as a possible substitute. "Awe," same a as in water. No hint of "ah." "Human," the "h" is not silent.

David Ritchie,
Portland,