[lit-ideas] Re: Windy Whim

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 10:06:00 -0400

Loverly evocation, David. Thanks.
The neighbour's white pine tree (which is as much in our yard as his) has produced more sap this year than usual. The three of us and our two dogs constantly track in sap on our shoes (and paws). For weeks, my kitchen floor has been spotted with little sticky black marks that don't come off with my usual 'clean-up the drips' technique (a wet paper towel shuffled around by my foot). Aaargh!!
Ursula
who spent yesterday afternoon drinking red wine on the front porch and watching the neighbour's maple leaves rattle and skip down the beautifully sunshiny street. A treat for the heart...

David Ritchie wrote:
If you have lived in some dry place all your life,
not eye-less but tree-less in Gaza,
you wouldn't believe what falls here when the mill winds blow.
It makes you question the point of gutters and so on.
They fill with needles, leaves, bits that stop the flow.
No season of mists and mellow fruitfulness this, we're talking Lear on the heath,
writing a rain of branches, thumping on our tin roof.
Say all refs, in my mind, each according to their uniform,
many with French accents naturally,
"I crack mah cheecks at your grandmothair.  I shak-e-spear
'n' trow."

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon