[lit-ideas] Re: Willie Pete's Role Reversal

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 15:04:15 EST

In a message dated 11/13/2005 1:53:55 P.M. Central Standard Time,
andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Europe,  Russia,
China, Japan, and South America are moving into the 21st century  of a
globalized economy,
interwoven and at peace.

One of my Japanese friends said to me once that to the Japanese, WWII was
not over. That they were taught (or, at least he was...though this was
concurred
 with by some other Japanese students at the time) that they would still
'win'  ... but this time economically.

Tell those in Taiwan that China is at peace. Tell that to the Chinese in
Mainland China who have no freedom to say what they will online. (Could they
participate in this list, I wonder? Doubt it...)

Not sure, still, that the globalized economy is going to be full of
altruistic souls who will be caring for the Other without being forced to do
so.  I
don't see those who are willing to exploit changing (some of them) without
being forced to do so--esp in those nations whereby the ruling elites have no
reason to do more than the minimum (but those who say so are  often closet
Republicans <g>, though I think they are more like the  so-called
Libertarians...)

Of course, isn't that some of what the neo-cons wanted to do in Iraq--make
it a completely free-market nation which would showcase how great life was like
 in the world of globalized economy? Didn't they have on board numerous of
global  companies who were aching to get in and see how it would work?  Were it
not  for destroying the infrastructure, I imagine they would have gotten their
wish.  And, you would have been able to see how well that would have
worked...and how  little exploitation would have happened.

I do agree with you that compulsory government service would be healthy for
all US citizens.
I think it will come...

Balancing the viewpoint,
Marlena