[lit-ideas] Re: Whose Calendar?

  • From: "Walter C. Okshevsky" <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 17:27:30 -0330

Quoting Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

> > "Give me a child until he is seven
> > and I'll give you a
> > Catholic for life" --  Ignatius of
> > Loyola

Isn't this a textbook case of crass indoctrination? Would there be a morally
appreciable difference had one said: "Give me a child until he is seven and
I'll give you a Nazi for life?" or "Give me a child until he is seven and I'll
give you a Rawlsian philosopher for life?" In all 3 cases, I submit that the
putative "educator" remains philosophically and educationally bankrupt - and
the latter in virtue of the former. Which is surely why the study of philosophy
is required in any reputable university Faculty or School of Education in a
multiculturally pluralist democracy.

Walter O
MUN

P.S. Lest it come to be believed that I am anti-Catholic, I assure my audience
that I attended Loyola College of Montreal for 5 years of undergrad studies in
philosophy and sociology (I was a slow learner) and I loved every minute of it.
Moreover, I can now drink with the very best of the best the Jesuits have to
offer.

Walter O
MUN