[lit-ideas] Don't Cry For Me, Argentina

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 15:41:36 EST

My last post today, so don't keep provoking me!

In a message dated 1/4/2010 3:14:07 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

our  own J. L. Speranza is of the Argentinean “rich.”  And since that must
be  true if the writer of the article is being accurate, I wonder why Geary
(who  hates the rich) likes Speranza.

----

Canadian Americans? What do they know about _anything_? I  don't think we
have ONE Canadian born Canadian on this list! Well, maybe  Stone.

Anyway, what Helm should wonder is

>why Speranza _likes_ Geary, in any case!

Some law of reciprocity.

Incidentally, the Argentines I know (which are a few) _hate_
"Argentinean", and even "Argentinian". "It makes us sound too much like
Palestinians,
which we are _not_.

In the good old days it was always (or allways, as I prefer) "Buenos
Ayres" spelt with an 'y' (to spell it with an "i", in English, is _cheap_; and
"The Argentine". This is meant to be short for "The Argentine Republic" or
something. Thus

    J. L. Speranza, Esq.
      La Recoleta
        Buenos Ayres