[lit-ideas] Re: Who in 2008?

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 May 2005 09:30:09 EDT

Hi, Stan,
Thanks for the reasoned thoughtfulness!

I like John Edwards, too, and he was doing great here in Missouri (until  the
debate...strange how I think just the act of sitting made it more difficult
for him to respond to Cheney...and he said nothing new in response and seemed
to  'canned'.  That was odd compared to what I had heard from him in the
past.)

I think John Kerry would have a decent chance if he was somehow able to
address the issue of the Swift Boat Vets in a different way.  (I would have
handled it much more agressively--I looked up some of what John Kerry did in
regards to keeping the MIA/POW in the forefront of Congress in those early
years,
etc.  Would have paid to reprint the Chicago Tribune editorial in  every
single major and not-so-major paper and had it read aloud, even, on
radio...but
that is me <g> and I knew that those ads from that group was  what tipped
people
on the fence over...for patriotism, honor and respect is  so so important.
But, he had all those attributes--but they were not  showcased.  Like it or
not, we live in a world which has to have such  showcased ... though maybe as
people crash and burn (or are helpless to help  those they love), we will as a
People, begin to look at substance again.   Maybe it's a dream, though...<wry
look>

I think the Republicans are going to have a huge fight eventually--for  while
most of the moderates all act like they have had their arms twisted behind
them so they are rolling over even on legislation(s) that they proposed and
advocated for (I think of Missouri's own Sen Bond...), they are not willing to
completely change parties. (yet)

The pro-life issue IS an important one, but not as important as some of the
others. I still want to put up billboards that say "Life begins with the
heartbeat." (thus, embryonic stem cell research is 'okay', most abortions are
'okay', etc.)   Just because it would be using the tactics that were  done in
the
what? late 70s-early 80s?   There are alot of people in  Missouri who are
seeing that ultra-conservative point of view go a bit too far  with the
legislation dealing with stem cell research, etc. that was  introduced.  The
economic
impact on our state would be horrific--there are  a number of bio-tech and
research firms which were going to halt their next  phases of
development/investment...and all of a sudden they got cranky.   (It helped that
Jack Danforth came
back to town, so to speak, as he is extremely  moderate and very well
respected...and holds alot of clout in terms of $$ and  connections...)

A moderate who is able to speak the language of faith will do  'okay'.  I
don't know how John Edwards would do, now.  I think  alot of people like John
Kerry better now, too <g>  Well, the  alternative which we have now is not very
productive in terms of making their  everyday life better, so maybe that is not
saying much <g>.

Anyway, better get on with my day.

Thanks for your thoughts (they helped diffuse my emotions!)
Marlena in Missouri