[lit-ideas] Re: When Did You Last See Your Father?

  • From: Mike Geary <jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 23:40:08 -0500

What was the outcome?  Several hundred thousand Iraqis killed, 5000 +
Americans killed, oven a trillion dollars thrown to the wind, our national
ideals besmirched through torture and extraordinary renditions,
assassinations, our prestige in the world seriously diminished.  Is an
imposed "democracy" in Iraq worth all that?  The outcome has been immensely
harmful to the US and Iraq and has fueled Islamic terrorism probably for
years to come.  I can't imagine what could make the war in Iraq a morally
right thing.  If you had asked me about dropping the bomb on Hiroshima, I'd
probably say, off the top of my head, "yes", because it possibly saved more
lives than it took.  Don't know, of course, but none of these decisions are
obvious, especially not in the midst of them.

Mike Geary
Memphis