[lit-ideas] Re: When Did You Last See Your Father?

  • From: Mike Geary <jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 18:16:55 -0500

JL:
>"With lying, it would logically contradict the reliability of language. ...
Kant denied the right  > to lie for any reason, regardless of context or
anticipated consequences."

> On the other hand, in the British Isles, they started the tradition to
distinguish between > > lies and _white_ lies, where ´white´ is
metaphorical.

A metaphor for what?  Purity?  Why is white a metaphor for purity?  Black
would make more sense,  i.e., the absence of all sins, while white is
clearly all sinfulness.  If Kant was serious in his condemnation of lying
for any reason, then the man was an idiot whose moral compass was quite
shallow.

I know JL loves the Kantian absolutes such that to inform can have meaning
only if the information is truly the case of the world.  But then, who the
hell knows what the true case of the world is?  My case might not accord
with your case.  So whose info is info and whose is uninfo?  I've always
believed that life is sloppy.  Truth is a mixture of myth and mores and
desire and sometimes it might even accord with the case of the world, but
who's to say?  At best we're all working with refrigeration gauges that may
or maybe not be giving accurate readings.  You have go with your gut
feelings often (or orphan as JL prefers).  God apparently abandoned planet
earth sometime back and left us to our devices.  We're pretty proud of what
we've learned even though we don't have the foggiest idea what existence
IS.  IS is, that's all we know.  All else is guess work -- and some pretty
high-fallutin' math, that maybe someone out there understands.   Not me.

Mike Geary
just venting
in Memphis