[lit-ideas] Re: What Wittgenstein Could See

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 16:08:52 -0400

>A.A. We'd have to ask Michio Kaku, but in his defense I will say that that
>Carroll was a mathematician, not an artist, not even a writer.

I think that CLD was only an artist and writer to anyone who is not
familiar with what he did as a mathematician. Although he WAS quite an
enviable mathematician (In my every so humble opinion) from what I've read,
he is most famous as the author of the Alice books.

>   I will see if I can do some research into whether a tie was intended by
> Carroll.  I do know that Alice originally was not a children's book.

I don't know whether it's true, but I've often read that most of the
nonsense stories from AIW are tall tales that Caroll used to tell to his
niece "Alice". Maybe he used the vehicle of Alice to demonstrate his
scientific thoughts/opinions. IN any case, they are tremendously artful and
well-written.

Jabberwocky certainly has a LOT to say about linguistics,

paul

Paul Stone
pas@xxxxxxxx
Kingsville, ON, Canada