[lit-ideas] What Wittgenstein Could See

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 23:02:34 EDT

Malcolm's "Wittgenstein" -- how faithful to the original?

R. Paul quotes:

>'I can see you know nothing about rocks.' [Wittgenstein, as quoted by  Norman
>Malcolm]

Malcolm's apocriphal quote reminds me of Humpty Dumpty (in Lewis Carroll,
"Through the looking glass"), and makes me wonder if Wittgenstein was a
behaviourist (or else Malcolm is misquoting).

The Humpty Dumpty quote:

`In winter, when the fields are white,
I sing this  song for your delight --

"Only I don't sing it,' he added, as an explanation. 'I see you don't,' said
Alice. `If you can see whether I'm singing or not, you've sharper eyes  than
most,' Humpty Dumpty remarked severely. Alice was silent."
The Wittgenstein quote:

"I can see you know nothing about rocks".
Different emphasis:
b. "I can _see_ you know nothing about rocks".
c. "I can _see_ you _know_ nothing about rocks."
For Gettier (and Plato, etc), to 'know' is a _spiritual_ thing, while 'see'
is a physiological thing (at least for Aristotle). One solution is that 'see'
is  used _figuratively_. Note Wittgenstein's guardedness -- reported: "I _can_
see  (you know nothing about rocks), rather than "I _do_ see you know nothing
about  rocks"). If one wants to be more pedantic: there's the extra problem
that what  Wittgenstein reported _could_ see was a totally negative _fact_ (to
wit: that  Malcolm knew nothing about rocks).
Cheers,
J. L.