[lit-ideas] Re: Wet Logos

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 12:05:14 -0500

I'm always amazed when professional philosophers stoop to engage me in debate. I thank you all for your magnanimity (that's sincerely meant, not my ususal sarcasm).

We see birds as "animals," not as plants, because they have more in common with other animals than with plants.

Yes. I agree. But what is there in the word "bird" that suggests "animal"? Perhaps etymologically "bird" has some reference to flying animals? -- I don't know. How do the names "cabbage, carrot, rutabaga" express the essence of vegetative existence? What in the word "motor" says mineral? I don't believe that names tell us anything anything beyond a grouping of like things. The words "bird", "oiseau"," uccello", "pajaro", though I admit to knowing nothing or their etymology, seem to me to be arbirtrary names, though, of course, they each have a history.

Mike Geary
Memphis

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Wager" <jwager@xxxxxxxxxx>