[lit-ideas] Re: Wet Logos

  • From: John Wager <jwager@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 08:04:49 -0500

Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx wrote:
Yes, I echo Ursula Stange that it translates 'logos'.
I think it's then the _Greek_ concept, and something for us Christians, but not necessarily those who only abide by the _Old_ Testament.

There is a lot of Jewish meaning in "logos." In Genesis, when Adam "names" the animals, it's an exercise in determining not just their names, but their natures. Think "classification" as well as proper names here. To give something its proper name is to be able to see its place in creation, to have control and dominion over it. (This still forms a lot of what is called "magical" thinking, or just plain
old-fashioned "magic." To cast a spell, one must know the right names.)

Oddly enough, this Lit-Ideas thread thus combines with the recent one about "wet." We are trying to understand the "name" of water, that is, to understand its primary "nature," its "essence."
I understand the idea of 'logos' here is the Christians paying a little homage to the Greek tradition in philosophy.
R. Paul should edify us about it.
When I studied philosophy, or even Latin (my professor, Dissandro, has a book written on "From mythos to logos") the idea was that _logos_ signified the beginning of _philosophy_. Thus, while Plato uses 'mythos' in his philosophical dia-LOGUES, he is more into 'logos' than 'mythos'.

Ah, Plato again. He was, after all, a poet before Socrates seduced him into philosophy. Plato still retains more of the poet than that of the logician. In most of the dialogues, just when Plato is about to reveal the "essence" (the "name") of the true form, he gives up. Instead, he tells a story! He becomes a poet! Just when you are expecting logos, you get mythos instead. The "allegory of the cave" is the "solution" to the problem of justice. Ah, but it's just a story, not itself the nature of justice.

----
So by saying what he does, the apostle is saying, "In the beginning there was a Reason".

"Reason" here again means "essence" as much as it means "logic." It's out of fashion now to think that philosophers grasp the essential nature of things, but scientists still haven't given up on it. To take the currently discussed "pig" example: A "pig" is a pig because its nature is to consume slop. We call something a "pig" because it has that nature. A Sequoia tree is not a pig because a Sequoia tree does
NOT consume slop.

(The "Logos" ideal is actually found in lots of strange places. The U.S. Supreme Court seems to have made an indirect appeal to it in Roe-v-Wade abortion decision. The fetus at first has a "vegetative" nature (or "soul" if you will), making it not yet human. At first the fetus consumes nutrients and grows. It out-grows that early vegetative soul and develops into what might be called "animal" soul somewhere along the way, which is capable of movement and response to the environment. Aquinas thought this "quickening" was probably the most likely place to begin to talk about the fetus being "human." But at some point before birth, but after the development of the animal soul, the "rational" soul develops, and at birth we have a human being,
not a plant or a pig.)
Mike Geary wrote: "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." To me this first sentence of Scripture is the most astonishing and most puzzling that I've ever encountered. I can't make any sense of it. And yet I've lived with it for 65 years without reaching out for some elucidation. What the hell does it mean? Any suggestions? What does "Word" mean in this context?