[lit-ideas] Re: Vote!

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 14:18:20 -0400

>The armchair psychologist in me says that there may be some truth in the
>reporter's hypothesis (that's one reason I despise polls). But it seems to me
>clearly true in small groups where the pressure to conform is more
>immediate. If
>the hands appear tentatively at first, then, once a certain small majority pro
>or con appears, the 'undecides' begin to side quickly with the perceived
>trend.

Wouldn't it be neat to have an election that DOESN'T have 4 years of leadup
to it? Maybe people would actually vote for who they want to win. The fact
that polls are endlessly announced and endlessly affect the vote is pretty
deplorable. Maybe THAT's where kids learn peer-pressure.

Paul Stone
pas@xxxxxxxx
Kingsville, ON, Canada