[lit-ideas] Re: Vote!

  • From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 20:22:56 -0400

Paul Stone wrote:

"I don't think it [the view of Canadians that there was no viable
alternative to the Liberal Party?] was a media problem, it was a Canadian
apathy problem."

I don't see the apathy problem.  The conservative vote was split and the
Liberals were able to control the middle ground.  People voted and they had
lots of choices.  As long as the conservatives fought amongst themselves and
the NDP did the self-destructive dance they always do, the Liberals could do
as they wished.

I wrote:

"Regarding the character of electioneering, it seems to me that people get
the politicians they deserve."

to which Paul replied:

"People who voted against that someone surely don't deserve him when he
completely cocks it up do they?"

Politicians will do what they have to do to get elected.  If the expecations
are sufficiently low, it seems disingenuous to claim that the fault lies
with the politicians.  If one forms one's political opinions according to
movies like _Fahrenheit 9/11_ or _Stolen Honor_, then one shouldn't complain
about politics being full of lies and pandering.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns,
who thinks Jon Stewart is the best news anchor out there right now,
Toronto, ON