[lit-ideas] Via Julia -- or How to Defeat a Roman General

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 17:14:11 EST

-- and fail in the attempt? Don't think so!

Incidentally, in the introduction to the Loeb FRONTINUS -- I spent sometime
today reading him -- I found this interesting (I found) reference to
Monmoutshire and in genear Judy Evans Country:

"Frontinus was dispatched  to Britain as provincial governon. In this post,
proved himself equal to the  difficult emergencies with which he has called
upon to cope. He subdued the  Silures, a powerful and warlike tribe of Wales,
and
with the instinct for public  improvements which dominated his whole career,
at once began in the conquered  district the construction of a highway, named
from him the Via Julia, the course  of which can still be made out, and some
of whose ancient pavement, it is  thought, may still be seen" (Loeb, p. xiv)

The footnote is to Wm. Camden, Britannia, and D. Williams's History of
Monmoutshire.

And the Latin quote would be:

"sustinuitque molem Iulius Frontinus, vir magnus, quantum licebat,
validamque et pugnacem Silurum gentem armis subegit, super virtutem hostium
locorum
quoque difficultates eluctatus".