[lit-ideas] Re: Vedr: Three arguments against quantitative social "science" as science

  • From: palma <palmaadriano@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2014 21:18:01 +0200

I have no idea of what value is involved in the crashing of the bottle
being caused by gravitational pull, even aside from the quinean semi
nonsensical so called web of belief.. but set that aside. take then causal
statements that have no value attached to them
I, for one, am of the opinion that the belief that the young universe was
extremely dense because of the quantum states involved is true.
then what? what is the value? who is valuing it? come on...

On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 9:08 PM, Eric <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Compare and contrast: many believe that much of the turmoil in the near
> east is caused (con-caused) by the very existence of the state of Israel.
> Come onto stage the "humean" theorist who tells me that there is no "proof"
> of that.
>

> It is impossible to prove "beliefs" (values) by facts, is it not?
>
> One cannot demonstrate or prove values by facts--z.b., to show those who
> question the worth of Israel's existence are fools--but one CAN report the
> statistical results of opinion polls, and use those results to "update a
> web of beliefs" (Quine).
>
> Eric

palma,   etheKwini, KZN

 palma