[lit-ideas] Variations on a Theme by Geary

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 14:52:11 -0400

I was trying to find a scenario where the
poetic  voice (for why should we
assume it's Geary, Wager?) ends up _shooting_ the
 advice-requester, but my
imagination is never that florid.

Try this. It was published in NYC Big City Lit
years ago, but it's a throwaway.

"Lines Not Written To Handel"

Shut up, says the door to the room.

Listen to how music has toned poems:
burbling spheres, effete lyres, defunct guitars,
that eternal loudmouth nightingale,
a wartime jukebox in its midtown dive,
elegant rag, diamond stylus of the dead.

Better to have engraved shotguns, carved looms,
Ripe grapes bursting against a virgin’s palette, so
If your chainsaw scrambles obbligato on greenwood,
Fire it up anyway. We no longer write for mellow
suites,
But always find our song in noise.