[lit-ideas] Re: Vanunu's Secret

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 12:14:59 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steven G. Cameron" <stevecam@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, April 28, 2004 11:29 AM
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Vanunu's Secret

> Andreas Ramos wrote:
>
> >>Is it possible that US has been ok with Israel having nuclear weapons
> >>because there are about 6 million Israelis surrounded by several hundred
> >>million hostile Arabs?  I don't know, just asking.
> >

> > Hostile Arabs? Like, when? All the Arabs I've ever known have been the
most
> > decent, hospitable, friendly people.
>
> **What are you implying, Andreas?? This is anecdotal evidence of what
> value?? Surely, even you must understand how foolish your statement is...

Of what value? Let's see...

One of my roommates at graduate school was the personal doctor of Anwar
el-Sadat. Another friend was a professor of physics at the University of
Cairo. Another flatmate was a professor of surgery at the University of
Damascus. A good friend was from a banking family in Oman. I've had
girlfriends from Iran and Algeria. There have been friends from Saudi
Arabia, Jordan (he was a Boy Scout leader), and Iraq. Turkey isn't Arabic,
but let's thrown them in as well: I've known good friends from Turkey, both
Anatolien and east Turkey, plus a number of Kurds. I've known Arabs for
decades.

Before Carol pops her wig off, my last wife was Jewish and many close
friends are Jewish.

Anyway, as for the Arabs, Steve, I can assure you: they don't have tails.
They don't have little horns. They don't fantasize about murdering you in
your bed. Well, okay, I'll admit it: some of them do. One friend was a
member of the Gray Wolves and even then, we got along. Asides from him, the
rest were among the most decent people I've ever known, on the level of the
best sort of gentlemen from Japan or Europe, or even a few Americans.

Steve, I know it's so very stylish these days to be racist against Arabs. W
Bush is slaughtering them by the truckload every day in Iraq, just to keep
from losing the upcoming election. However, I won't go along with that
fashionable trend, even though you may think it very foolish of me.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com