[lit-ideas] Re: Vanunu's Secret

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 21:17:55 -0700 (PDT)

--- Veronica Caley <vcaley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Omar
> But if they
> are not prepared to do this, then I can't see how
> they
> can, with any pretense of legality or fairness, deny
> Iran or any other countries the right to pursue
> nuclear weapons to balance and deter those of their
> enemies. You can't have it both ways, that is what I
> am saying.
>
> Veronica
> Is it possible that US has been ok with Israel
> having nuclear weapons
> because there are about 6 million Israelis
> surrounded by several hundred
> million hostile Arabs?  I don't know, just asking.

If so, why were the Whites in South Africa, who were
surrounded by several hundred million hostile Blacks,
not allowed to have nuclear weapons to keep them in
check ?

Israel was able to defend 4 major Arab states in a
conventional war in 1967. Israel's conventional power
has grown in the meanwhile, while another coalition of
four Arab states against Israel is not even
contemplated. Egypt and Jordan have diplomatic
relations with Israel, Saudi Arabia is obedient to the
US, and Iraq is under US occupation. There is no
reason for Israel to have a nuclear arsenal.

O.K.