[lit-ideas] Re: Vanunu's Secret

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 23:28:22 -0700 (PDT)

--- Scribe1865@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Omar writes: "It is chillying to see this proof of
> advanced loss of ability
> to read."
> He means "chilling" of course.
> from

*Well, at least your reading skills have recovered to
some extent. Perhaps we will soon see evidence of
ability to understand whole paragraphs.

I've heard the Russian story before - btw are the
Russians also culturally deficient ? - but I haven't
heard of any US pressure on Russia to renounce its
nuclear weapons. This might seem a bit strange given
that Russia, heavily dependent on the West for
economic survival, was surely amenable to pressure.
But then we reflect that pressuring Russia to give up
its nukes would expose the US to similar pressures as
well. It is better, apparently, to spend millions of
dollars on keeping Russian reaction systems in order.

> USA â??avertedâ?? Indo-Pak N-war in 1999
> WASHINGTON, Oct 21 (PTI) â?? The USA helped avert
> nuclear powers India and
> Pakistan from what might have been a possible
> catastrophic war in 1999, President
> Bill Clintonâ??s National Security Adviser Samuel
> Berger has said.

President's Security Adviser would have pretty obvious
reasons to exaggerate the US role in the whole affair,
wouldn't he ? (Though it falls short of your previous
version about the nukes being already loaded on the
planes etc.) India and Pakistan have had several
alleged nuclear crises, also in 2001 when Bush, that
great diplomat, was in the White House. Yet so far
they have remained reasonable, no doubt largely
because each side knew the other side would respond.
The balance of nuclear weapons might also have
prevented another bloody conventional war between
India and Pakistan, as it might have prevented a major
conventional war between the US and the Soviet Union.
(Or a unilateral use of nuclear weapons by the US,
which was contemplated before the Soviets got their
nukes.)

Meanwhile, I found the story about the Liberty and the
US wanting to 'nuke 'em, and nuke 'em now.'

http://www.gulf-news.com/Articles/print.asp?ArticleID=89852

O.K.