[lit-ideas] Re: Univocal philosophy as the value of transcendental claims?

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2009 17:12:28 -0500

Stealing is wrong because we say that _this_ particular
act of taking what is not one's own is wrong.  Also, we
say
that _this_ particular act of taking what is not one's
own is wrong
because we believe that no one should do it.

Conversely. we might say _this_ particular act of
stealing is not wrong. Jean Valjean steals bread for
his family and gets five years in the clink. One might
say of such unjust punishment that, "it's a crime," and
that "there oughta be a law." We might believe that no
one should be punished for such stealing.

With Euthyphro's circle spinning so rapidly to please
the gods, some things go flying off.