[lit-ideas] Re: Try a Logic Problem

  • From: "Simon Ward" <sedward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 14:48:50 +0100

First time I saw the problem was in Reader's Digest, well over 50 years ago
(!) - long before Copi. In that version the reward for the right answer was
freedom; the penalty for the wrong one was execution.

Much more sense in that, thanks Lloyd. Interestingly it still leaves a middle ground of mundane existence for those first two prisoners.

The one I'm familiar with is the two doors guarded by two men, one of whom always lies whilst the other always tells the truth. One door leads to freedom, the other to death. You can ask one of the men one question and from that answer you can then choose the appropriate door.

No doubt most of the logicians will already know the answer.

Simon