[lit-ideas] Re: Try a Logic Problem

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 10:47:40 -0400

I agree, but I understood you to be saying that there was a trivial
answer that could be derived from the simple fact that he COULD (your
emphasis) know what colour his hat is.  If the answer requires the fact
that neither P1 nor P2 know what colour their hats are, your answer is
not trivial but rather just not expressing all the logical steps.  Of
course, it might be possible to intuit the answer without those steps
but I thought Walter was interested in having those steps articulated.

Yes, and yesterdays answer, although a grammatical mess, was correct and pretty much exactly the same as yours. This morning's missive was basically a joke. By trivial, I didn't mean the strict mathematical "trivial", I mean more like trivial in the sense that there's got to be one answer with the guidelines set out in the riddle and that one answer has to be white simply because it cannot be red.

pau

Paul Stone
pas@xxxxxxxx
Kingsville, ON, Canada