[lit-ideas] Re: Traditionalist Islam

  • From: "Simon Ward" <sedward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 01:18:54 -0000

That's certainly the article. I thought it was a worthwhile reference because
it seems to present middle ground between the two polarised positions that we
take.

Fukuyama presents a model of fundamentalist islam that arises not exclusively
from a cultural/religious background but also from feelings of alienation from
the west. For me, this is of prime importance because, as I see it, the most
important variable to be considered is the manner and the reasons for movement
from traditional islam to fundamentlist islam. (I wonder whether the process is
in anyway similar to conversions to fundamentlist christianity). It is this
dynamic more than any other that needs to be understood if the west is to
influence the growth of the fundamentlists.

As I see it, waging war as the sole weapon in a fight with fundamentlism can
only serve to increase the enemy numbers because it is exactly what the
fundamentlists will preach to those they hope to attract. Similarly, making no
effort to fix the problems in the middle east, such as Isreal/Palestine, and
showing a disregard for the opinions of the world's majority, only serves to
prove the fundamentlists right.

For those unware of what is said elsewhere, Lawrence has discussed the
importance of marginalising the fundamentalists within islam. Whether this is
what Lawrence believes should happen, or whether it is him reporting on the
scholarship of others is beside the point, it's an impoirtant consideration.

Conversely, to present a model of fundamentalism that is restricted to the
cultural/religious 'pull' of tight readings of the Koran - in other words to
assume that whatever the west does has no influence of the traditionalist to
fundamentalist dynamic - serves to excuse the actions of west. It says that the
west bears no responsibility for its actions because those actions have no
effect on the creation of fundamentalists.

Fukuyama says the terrorists created in the first world (historically the more
active) are essentially a political phenomenon. He also says that Europe's
version of multiculturalism has to shoulder some of the blame for what it has
helped to create. The one statement marries with what I've been saying, the
other with Lawrence. As such I think the article a good basis for discussion.

Simon