[lit-ideas] Simon's peculiar responses

  • From: Lawrence Helm <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Lit-Ideas <Lit-Ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 12:28:32 -0800

Simon writes:

There are, I've decided, two different Lawrences: one here and one in 'another place'. Here, our Lawrence is unequivocal, the war is against Islam because the moderates (or traditionalists) are 'semi mythical'. Over there, their Lawrence appears to be nuanced and the moderates (or traditionalists) are the ones that should be approached by western scholars with a view to steering them away from the fundamentalists.

Now this is interesting to say the least. Perhaps it's because Lawrence is a hypocrite, or perhaps it's also because he's writing for a different audience. Is it because in both places he's after an argument?

And what does that make him?

Of course, he might just attempt to reconcile these two different psyches. And that would be really interesting...

Lawrence reluctantly responds:

It goes without saying that you are once again confused, Simon.

By "another place" I assume you mean Theoria where I discussed the book The Enemy at Home, The Cultural Left and Its Responsibility for 9/11 by Dinesh D'Souza. I might have discussed that book over here on Lit-Ideas but I didn't because I had been declared SPAM for awhile. Some of my comments about this book had to do with D'Souza's thesis that it was better to fight against just the Islamic Radicals than all of Islam. The Right-Wing reviews I read of this book were uniformly negative. They objected to D'Souza's putting himself in the shoes of the "Traditionalist" and looking for points of agreement. He argues the American Conservatives should seek out these traditionalists and make common cause with them -- just as the Left and the Radical Muslims are making common cause. My problem with the reviews is that none of them I read seemed to think it would be a good thing if we could avoid fighting all of Islam by making common cause with the traditionalists. If they exist, and D'Souza believes they do, then it would be good if we could reach some sort of common-cause agreement involving opposition to the radicals (and the Left). My point here, and once again a smidgeon of understanding of Logic would help you, Simon, is conditional. If the traditionalists exist then it would be a good thing if they and American conservatives could reach a rapprochement like D'Souza suggest. I do not have to believe or disbelieve that they exist to make that conditional statement.

But in one of my Theoria notes (one that you apparently missed), I stated that I continued to believe the Traditionalists to be invisible and that since we couldn't find them to reach out to, perhaps it would behoove them, if they existed, to reach out to us.

Lest that is too elusive for you, Simon, let me say for the record that I believe the Traditionalists do exist. I make disparaging comments about them, calling them invisible and semi-mythical, because they are not outspoken. They are not a present-day force in the Middle East. They keep silent. If you called someone like that to be a witness over here in the U.S.in, say, a drive-by shooting, he would say, "I don't want to get involved." Some Muslims are courageous and they seem to have gravitated to the Radicals. They like to blow things up. The uncourageous, the ones who would go to Canada if they lived over here, tend to keep their mouths shut. D'Souza has a different view of them and I suspended disbelief as I read his book (something his reviewers failed to do), but I still wait to hear from them. Where are they Dinesh? And don't point to Iranians living in Los Angeles or Arab Doctors working at Loma Linda Hospital. Where are they in the Middle East?

Lawrence