[lit-ideas] Re: Threefer Once More

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 14:50:25 -0700

On Sep 27, 2009, at 2:12 PM, David Ritchie wrote:

Whoops. "Detrius" has been in my personal vocabulary for years. It probably originated in a mis-reading of detritus. In my mind it means "rubbish." Alas this is not true for anyone else.

I knew this.

I hope there are not lots of similar words knocking around in my noggin.

Someone off-list wrote:

You mean like "macdam" and "jetsom"?

I did check "jetsom." The web said it was an allowed variant spelling. The O.E.D. says that it is the older form--you go (by "syncompation" and "perversion") from "jettison" to "jetsom." You can also use, "jettson," "jetsen," "jetzon, "jotsom," "jetson." I'm not sure about "jettezoon," but I like the sound of it.

"Macadam" was a typo, a different kind of error altogether :).

Apologies.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon