[lit-ideas] Re: There are three types of people...

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 12:24:24 EDT

In a message dated 5/20/2006 11:13:17 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx writes:

*Not  sure. Many true believers (I thought they were in
Category 1) seem  remarkably resilient to having their
world-view challenged. Many true  non-believers do,
too. I see myself as an undogmatic un-believer,  one
who thinks that some beliefs can be charming, useful,
comforting,  even plausible.

Hi,
Oh, I like that last comment describing beliefs! <g>

And, yes--many who are True Believers/Non-Believers are resilient to having
their beliefs challenged...but I have seen some who fall apart ("But it's not
supposed to be that way!" is generally the wail. Or, "It's not fair!" "It's
not  right!")  I bump into them when it seems that they cannot cope with it --
of course, I get asked directional questions at the grocery store, too. Or,
as  happened this week, questions of a legal nature. I'm pretty good at finding
 matches who have answers but usually end up trying to stop the spinning
first so  there can be discussion.  Maybe I think of myself as that bridge
between
 the 2s (my version, which might be your/Godel's #1s) and the 3s (who often
don't  want to deal with any contradiction, either, as they have decided to be
okay  with all inconsistency and not find any sort of pattern or order...)

Of course, being the bridge works because I usually exclaim that I don't
like 'the journey' either (very unpopular view in this day and age) and  would
prefer to just go sit and gaze at the water or at the woods.  Finding  the
answers, continuing to dig is a little like 'the journey' which is full of
contradictions, so I can socialize with the #3s and get along with them (mostly

picking information from their brains that they don't know they have acquired
while soaking up the contradictions in their lives) and also can 'match' the
#2s
as I sympathize with wanting to know stuff.  My need might be a bit
different, but I understand it all too well...

Best,
Marlena