[lit-ideas] Re: The location of location

  • From: John McCreery <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2015 09:16:05 +0900

One modern view says that the problem in question is a non-question because, so
far as anyone can actually see, knowledge is always embodied. Why do we imagine
objects embedded in space-time? The answer is straightforward. Our bodies are
so constructed that a limited set of options, up or down, front or back, left
or right, determine how we naturally think about things. We can force ourselves
to imagine worlds with 1, 2, 4 or 11 dimensions -- mathematicians and
physicists do it all the time. But this is a matter of tweaking or
extrapolating from our usual three-dimensional way of describing the location
of things. That may, if current physics is right, be only a crude approximation
of the way the universe is. (The "11" mentioned above is borrowed from science
news descriptions of the number of dimensions required to account for the
behavior of elementary particles if they work in the ways that current physics
say they do.) It may be of historical interest to wonder how Descartes (or
others reading Descartes) dealt with a problem created by his ontology. But,
given that the ontology in question is pretty much defunct, the issue is of
only historical interest.

Just saying,

John

Sent from my iPad