[lit-ideas] The location of location

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 07:27:32 -0500

In a message dated 1/26/2015 2:08:03 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I agree it would appear contradictory to  argue (1) pain belongs to W2 but
(2) that pain also is located within the W1  brain and (3) W2 is located in
a way distinct to anything located in W1 [i.e. W2  events, like conscious
pain, do not share the identical spatio-temporal location  of any W1 events].
I also agree that there is a large and unresolved problem  as to the
'location' of consciousness, and thus of W2. I would also agree there  is a
large
and unresolved problem as to the 'location' of W3 or W3 contents. But  these
admittedly large and unresolved problems are far from conclusive arguments
against the independence of W2 and of W3 from W1.
I don't intend to suggest  a solution to these large problems but here
clarify that Popper's position is  that W3 "exists but exists nowhere" and that
W2 is located not within W1 but  somehow adjacent to the W1 brain.
It seems that we have no obvious model for  locating anything in space and
time except in the way we seek to locate W1  objects within W1: and this
creates an admitted problem, for there is a lack of  any clear model for how we
'locate' W2 or W3 in these terms.
Despite this, it  seems overwhelmingly the case that consciousness exists;
and though it is less  overwhelming, the strong case is that consciousness
is distinct from being a  mere W1 process - for there is no analogue of
consciousness in any W1 processes  as these are conceived by science.
So we quickly reach one of the immense  and weird imponderables of the
mind-body problem, that have given rise to very  different reactions -
including
that radical materialism, a la Quine, that takes  consciousness to be
merely an illusion. But if consciousness is not simply an  illusion, the
mind-body dichotomy surfaces in all its presently unsolvable  strangeness.
There is
no present possible position without strangeness - the  radical materialist,
in denying consciousness, is one of the strangest. Against  the strangeness
of these alternative positions [e.g. panpsychism] it might seem  less
strange to accept the admitted strangeness of accepting a W3 and a W2 that
cannot readily be 'located', and certainly not 'located' in W1 terms.

It  seems simpler to postulate that space-time belongs in w1 only?

There's  the physical world, and space and time are physical 'concepts' or
entities or  items.

w2 is the world of thinking.

Palma:

"Note that, if  Descartes were right, thought can’t have extension
properties, such as temporal  properties."

The implicature is that Descartes ain't right?

If an  item in the world of 'psychology' has spatio-temporal
qualifications, it seems  to me because it 'corresponds' in some way to some
item in the
physical world,  which necessarily does.

w3, the world of concepts and stuff surely does  not require on the other
hand any sort of Cartesian spatio-temporal coordinate.  But surely the
CONTENT of a book on space and time (such as Einstein's) belongs  in this
'third
reich', as Popper's predecessor also called it.

Cheers,

Speranza