[lit-ideas] Re: The US Army in mutiny?

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 06:24:54 EDT

Perpetually wading through old mail -- and it seems the "New"(s) is old
before you wake up.  But the thread on Rummy prompted me to ask what the
literati
here think of the changes in Rove's role .... and the rather loudly  touted
"shake ups" in the upper echelon of the West Wing in general.

Julie Krueger
whose personal life has definitely interfered with global awareness this  week

========Original Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: The US Army in
mutiny?  Date: 4/15/06 6:57:10 P.M. Central Daylight Time  From:
_robert.paul@xxxxxxxxx (mailto:robert.paul@xxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Eric Yost wrote:

> For all anyone knows,  an unfavorable opinion of Rumsfeld is
> what certain vengeful lobbyists  hope to install in the public...get
> Rummy out, put a new guy in, and  bring the Crusader Mobile Howitzer back
> to costly life.

Isn't  possibility great? It contains multitudes. With the strange excuse
that 'for  all anyone knowsâcertain vengeful lobbyists' are now trying to
get Rummy  because they (these unnamed Furies) want to revive the
Crusader mobile  howitzer program, Eric decides to cut Rummy a break. By
parity of reasoning,  for all anyone knows, Rumsfeld has written a sequel
to War and Peace, which  will soon be published by Heisenberg House,
under the pseudonym Georges  Clemenshovich. Hey, there's no evidence that
it hasn't  happened.

There is though evidence, contrary to what Eric assumes, that  the
Military Industrial complex isn't behind the complaints of the Generals
who have now come forward: their concerns seem directly focused on the
conduct of the War in Iraq. None of them has called for Ãberweapons;
none for more expensive toys.

Here's a brief account of what they've  said lately.

Major General Paul D. Eaton (Army, commanded training of  Iraqi security
forces until 2004):

âFirst, his failure to build  coalitions with our allies, what he
dismissively called âOld Europeâ has  imposed far greater demands and
risks on our soldiers than necessary.  Second, he alienated his allies in
our own military, ignoring the advice of  seasoned officers and denying
subordinates any chance for  input.â

General Anthony C. Zinni (Marines, former head of United States  Central
Command):

âWe are paying the price for the lack of credible  planning, or the lack
of a planâ

"Ten years worth of planning were  thrown away, troop levels dismissed
out of handâ

"These were not  tactical mistakes. These were mistakes of policy made
back here. Donât blame  the troops.â

Lieutenant General Gregory Newbold (Marines, director of  operations,
Joint Chiefs of Staff, 2000 to 2002):

âMy sincere view is  that the commitment of our forces to this fight was
done with a casualness  and swagger that are the special province of
those who have never had to  execute these missions.

âThe troops in the Middle East have performed  their duty. Now we need
people in Washington who can construct a unified  strategy worthy of them.â

Major General John Batiste (Army, former  commander, First Infantry
Division in Iraq):

âI think he should step;  aside and let someone step in who can be more
realistic.

âI think we  need a fresh start. We need leadership up there that
respects the military  as they expect the military to respect them. And
that leadership needs to  understand teamwork.â

Major General John Riggs (Army, former director,  Objective Task Force):

âThey only need (sic) the military advice when it  satisfies their
agenda. I think thatâs a mistake and thatâs why he should  resign.â

(I grant that Major Riggs' complaint isn't especially telling,  but at
least he went on record.)

Robert Paul
The Reed  Institute