[lit-ideas] Re: The US Army in mutiny?

  • From: "John McCreery" <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 17:08:50 +0900

Has anyone but me noticed that the word "Mutiny" in the title of this
thread is a misnomer.
If troops on active duty refused to obey orders that would be a
mutiny. In the case at hand, we have seen precisely what we should.
Retired generals, who have left the service, now feel free to
criticize former superiors in a way prohibited prior to their
retirement. This isn't mutiny. This is former military people
exercising their civilian write of free speech. The same is true of
the junior officers mentioned in other messages, who are voting with
their feet, and leaving the military as soon as they are able to.
Neither case is mutiny.
--
John McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd.