[lit-ideas] Re: The US Army in mutiny?

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 10:55:55 -0700

I wondered if anyone was going to take any of this seriously and thought to
myself, surely not.  Surely everyone will remember that Rumsfeld was giving
the task of revamping the military, ending the pork-barrel-like weapon
systems that we would never need unless we were going to fight another
Soviet Russia, learning the lessons from Vietnam, namely that we had to use
small, fast units rather than slow-moving tank-like units that guerillas
could easily avoid.  And from the earliest days of Rumsfeld's Secretariat,
we heard that the old timers hated him, wanted to continue doing things the
way they had always done them, and hated his changes.  Now some of these
that have all along hated him, such as Zinni, are making their hatred more
public.  I say more public because anyone interested was aware of this
hatred.  So imagine the curl of my lip when some Liberal Journalists decide
this is something new, a brand new revelation, something the result of long
years of Rumsfeld mismanagement.  Surely no one was going to fall for that.
. . I thought naively.

Lawrence