[lit-ideas] The Surgical Strike Option

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 12:42:10 -0500

Marlena: I imagine we'll be told they are 'surgical strikes'...but they'll be as
surgical as the ones in Iraq are/have been--and lots of moms/dads/little kids are
going to be hurt/killed/maimed.

Eric: Despite the obvious need to debate the ethics of the Iranians using their population as a human shield for nuke sites, as well as the ethics of striking versus not striking...here's some information about the likely area:

[http://cns.miis.edu/pubs/week/040812.htm]
Natanz--250 kms south of Tehran--is a nuclear facility, the previously secret existence of which was disclosed by the National Council of Resistance of Iran (NCRI) an Iranian opposition group in August 15, 2002.[19] Satellite imagery made available in December 2002 indicated that Natanz may be used as a gas centrifuge facility for uranium enrichment.

Looking at the photo in the Telegraph article Lawrence cited gives no clue about the population of the area around Natanz. I was reduced to looking on mapquest ("Find great hotel deals in Natanz Iran!") and it showed no towns or cities near Natanz, the closest being a place called Mahabad, about 15 miles away. But what does Mapquest know?

Anyone know how to find about the moms/dads/little kids resident in Natanz? There are about 300 people working in the Bushehr Reactor site, and probably no little children. Both appear isolated, as opposed to the sites located in medium- and large-size cities.