[lit-ideas] Re: The Surgical Strike Option

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 12:49:48 -0600

Then there's this:
Hans Blix on Iran's Nuclear Program
In the run-up to the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq in 2003, chief U.N. weapons inspector Hans Blix was often chastised in the Western media by supporters of the Bush administration who said the Swedish diplomat was "making excuses" for dictator Saddam Hussein.

Since postwar inspections revealed that Iraq had no weapons of mass destruction, the now-retired Blix has become a go-to guy for journalists looking for informed commentary on nuclear proliferation issues.

In an interview with Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, the now-retired Blix said he saw some similarities between the run-up to the Iraq war and the current debate on Iran. With Iran resuming its nuclear enrichment program, the Bush administration is again expressing fear about the nuclear ambitions of major Islamic country.

"The West is painting itself into a corner," says Blix. "They have said that Iran should refrain from all [uranium] enrichment while they are negotiating, and now they cannot negotiate with them because Iran has resumed it," he said.

The rotund Swedish politician does not dismiss Western concerns about Iran's nuclear ambitions. He says it is Iran that has opted for confrontation, "hyping" and "propaganda war."

"I think that Iran felt that the offers they were given were so miserable that this was not negotiation, and so they opted on their side [to challenge Europe and the United States]. I can have some understanding for that, but this is part of the hyping, another propaganda war," he said.

Blix says he thinks the West has not offered Iran enough. Compared to what has been offered to North Korea, U.S. offers to Iran have been "rather miserable," he told RFE/RL.

Blix's blunt policy soundbyte is likely to impress his admirers and appall his detractors.

"Iran should be offered about the same kind of things that North Korea has been offered," he said.

By Jefferson Morley | Permalink* | Comments (52)

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>