[lit-ideas] Re: The Philippines and Iraq

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 22:54:30 -0700

Omar,

Well, you don't have everything quite the way I would describe it.  I would
hardly call Cold War battles Imperialism.  Our Communist adversaries did,
but of course they would, wouldn't they.   Also, there is a sense in which
everything the 13 colonies did would parallel something an Empire might do,
but the actions of the Colonies and later the fledgling nation hardly
qualify as Empire.  It cheapens the term "empire" to apply it to most of
what America has done.  Andrew Jackson took Florida from Spain and was then
backed up by his government.  Was that an imperial act?  When we look at the
circumstances we see that the British were using Florida to stir up trouble.
The trouble stopped after Jackson's act.

Someone could (and I believe that Niall Ferguson did) argue that the
nation's movement across the continent was an act of Imperialism, but here
again when we look at the settlers looking for land, Imperialism can hardly
be applied to their efforts.  Analysts used the term "Manifest Destiny" to
describe what was happening.  It was considered the nation's Manifest
Destiny that it would stretch from sea to shining sea.  Whatever it was
(with apologies to Ferguson) it wasn't Empire.

The Monroe Doctrine has been described as an Imperial act, but this strikes
me as silly.  At the time we issued the doctrine we didn't possess the power
to back it up.  It served the nation that did have the power, Britain's,
interest to support the Monroe doctrine.  It served Britain's interests to
keep their competitors out of the Western Hemisphere as much as possible.
Our motivation was one of timidity not Empire.  We wanted the warlike
Europeans to leave us alone.

And in looking at your list, Cuba and the Philippines were acquired as a
result of a war that Spain declared upon the U.S.  We were opposing the
Spanish Empire.  And, as has been discussed, after considerable
congressional debate we annexed the Philippines to prevent Japan from
getting it.  Was it an Empirical act?  Yes, but as has been said, our heart
wasn't in it.  We did the act to prevent the Japanese Empire (and their
heart was definitely in it) from acquiring the Philippines.

Korea wasn't an Empirical act.  South Korea was an ally and we went to its
defense after North Korea invaded it.  This was done as a United Nations
war.  I was there and am entitled (if I should ever have occasion to get
back into uniform) to wear a U.N. ribbon.

Vietnam was messier than Korea.  France (De Gaul) wanted to reacquire the
French Colonies and while we weren't supportive of that idea, we didn't want
Vietnam to fall into the hands of the Communists.  The "domino theory" was
widely believed at the time.  While I wouldn't want to be described as
anti-war, I did study Vietnam enough to doubt the domino theory.  The
Vietnamese had a history of trouble with China; so I couldn't see Vietnam as
enduring "puppet status" for very long.  Nevertheless the war was conducted
in accordance with the Kennan principle of containment (though Kennan
opposed going into Vietnam as I recall.  He like Fukuyama didn't approve of
the way his thesis was carried out).

The Afghanistan and Iraq wars were fought in an attempt to take the war to
Militant Islam.  We can not at this point prove to everyone's satisfaction
that there is such an entity - any more than we could prove in 1899 that
Japan was a potential enemy and needed to be opposed.  After their defeat of
the Russians in 1905 they were taken a bit more seriously but not enough so.
One can now plausibly argue that there is no such thing as militant Islam,
just a few blustering petty warlords who can be sufficiently cowed to keep
them from causing too much trouble.  And of course there are the "Jihadists"
who are causing considerable trouble, but there aren't that many of them -
so goes the arguments of Roy, Kepel and Fukuyama.  I don't agree with this
argument, but I think it a serious and interesting one.  So about this war
we are conducting we can say it is prudent (if the U.S. administration is
correct in its assessment as I believe it is) or a mistake (if Fukuyama, Roy
& Kepel are correct), but we cannot with plausibility (in my opinion) argue
that we are engaged in war of empire.

Lawrence